SVN Planner Wins Award

The Citizens Planning Education Association of Virginia (CPEAV) awarded its professional planner citation to SVN’s land use planner, John D. Hutchinson of Staunton, for his work in Shenandoah County. Hutchinson accepted the award at the CPEAV annual conference in Williamsburg in October 2008.

Hutchinson was cited for his work with the Shenandoah Forum citizens group in Shenandoah County, as the organization facilitated a community dialogue in 2007 and 2008 regarding the implementation of the county’s comprehensive plan. The project was a consensus-based effort to develop a set of planning tools that would achieve the comp plan’s vision of maintaining the county’s rural character and agricultural economy.

The Forum, in its nomination of Hutchinson for the citation, noted his role in the project. “Mr. Hutchinson’s participation in our Shenandoah Community Dialogue was vital to its success,” said Forum President Rosemary Wallinger.

“Over the course of 15 months, he drove from his home in Staunton for evening meetings in Woodstock, reviewing all of the documents and research assembled for the project, providing comments and answering questions by phone and email. He volunteered hours of his valuable time working on this project—work that ensured that our group of non-planner citizens were fully prepared and informed on complex planning issues. The professional level we were able to achieve with Mr. Hutchinson’s guidance provided the county with a model they are now striving to emulate. We firmly believe that without his assistance, the success of this project would not have been possible.”

Formed in 1950 as the Virginia Citizens Planning Association, CPEAV is a volunteer, nonprofit association of Virginians dedicated to furthering throughout the Commonwealth public understanding and awareness of the need for excellent community planning as a means of making Virginia’s localities better places in which to live, work, and do business.
Hutchinson’s clients include the Shenandoah Valley Network, Town of New Market and Shenandoah Valley Battlefield Foundation.

Posted in News