The first permit for hydrofracking shale in Virginia was proposed near Harrisonburg in 2010. Find out about the status of this permit, current shale gas leases, and other regional information.
SVN’s partner in Rockingham County, Community Alliance for Preservation (CAP), has more information about the proposed permit from gas company Carrizo (Marcellus) LLC. You’ll find the permit information, permit review by a hydrogeologist, UVA environmental law clinic report, and letters from state agencies at CAP’s website: www.PreserveRockingham.org
- View an 8-minute video about hydrofracking and the Shenandoah Valley from our partners at The Downstream Project
- Congress Pressures GWNF to change proposed safeguards for drinking water
- The Roanoke Times: Editorial: No Fracking in the National Forest
- Reports from Regional Commission Workshop on Marcellus Shale in the Shenandoah Valley, 10-28-2010
- View Fractracker: data on Rockingham & Frederick gas leases
- Local and federal officials concerned about gas fracking on national forest