The comment period closed on Oct 17 and plan is expected to be released Spring of 2012.
George Washington National Forest Plan: Help Us Make a Good Plan Better
The U.S. Forest Service released the draft management plan for the George Washington National Forest in May 2011, after a five-year process. It reflects many of the recommendations submitted by Shenandoah Valley residents and local governments. Over this summer and fall, comments were needed to help support the best elements of the plan and ask for some further improvements to guide forest management for the next 15 years.
- GW receives more than 53,000 comments on draft plan (PDF)
- View SVN’s letter to GWNF Forest Supervisor (PDF)
- View the GW Forest Plan Online – U.S. Forest Service website.
- SVN Forest Plan Recommendations 2011
- Report: The State of Our Water: Managing and Protecting the Drinking Water Resources of the George Washington National Forest – Wild Virginia Website
- General forest plan information and reports on forest resources in individual counties.
- Southern Environmental Law Center applauds the ban on fracking.