The Scenic 340 Project works to preserve and protect the unique rural character, the natural environment, and the heritage of the Route 340 corridor – from Front Royal to Waynesboro. The Project seeks to:
- Identify cultural and historic sites along the corridor.
- Protect scenic views and air quality along Route 340 and from Skyline Drive
- Identify threatened or endangered species
- Protect the fragile Karst geology and ground water quality
- Foster economic development through heritage and tourism and by protecting productive farmland
- Work with local governments to advance land use planning tools